Austin TX - This position performs full secretarial and administrative duties for attorneys under minimal supervision. This position requires the individual to perform with a high degree of independent judgment and discretion. Requires a thorough knowledge of organizational procedures and precedents.
1. Performs secretarial functions associated with firm administrative tasks, including processing new client/matter requests, client bills, time reports and expense reports.
2. Performs word processing of drafts, revisions and final documents for client-related matters, including correspondence, memoranda, bills, timesheets and project work, as needed. This includes proofreading and redlining
work for accuracy, copy, format, etc.
3. Copies, distributes, sends (electronically and/or via mail, courier or express service), files and otherwise handles completed work.
4. Maintains physical and electronic files, and contacts.
5. Coordinates meetings and appointments, and properly receives clients/guests, as requested. Maintains appointment calendar for attorneys.
6. Handles incoming and outgoing mail.
7. Knowledge with e-filing in state and federal courts.
8. Schedule/calendar client meetings, court hearings, depositions, etc.
9. Draft and prepare various types of documents, including motions, pleadings, briefs and other litigation documents.
1. Provides secretarial assistance to visiting attorneys and attorneys whose secretaries are absent, as well as provide overflow assistance when needed.
2. Coordinate courier service to deliver or collect documents for attorney at courthouse or other entities.
3. Performs other related duties as needed or assigned.
The legal secretary reports directly to the Office Administrator or appropriate Human Resources representative, and indirectly to assigned attorneys.
Must have three to five years of experience working in a mid- or large-sized law firm. The secretary should possess working knowledge of general office procedures, as well as, strong familiarity with legal terminology related to general legal concepts and specific area(s) of assignment. Working knowledge and experience with the Firm’s technology and applications strongly preferred (NetDocuments, Interaction, Chrome River, etc.). Prior experience handling expense reports, client bills, multi-line phones and conflict-checking forms, as well as working with Interaction, or another client relationship management database, is strongly preferred. Prior experience supporting more than one attorney is required.
The legal secretary must possess advanced word processing/computer skills utilizing a variety of software programs including, but not limited to, MS Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Adobe. The individual must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation. Strong phone etiquette, attention to detail and follow through skills is required. Must be knowledgeable with legal filing and record-keeping practices, as relevant to the specific practice. Must be highly organized and able to successfully multi-task and meet set deadlines. Strong customer service, ability to be flexible and work effectively as part of a team is required.
The legal secretary should possess a high school diploma. Two years of college or equivalent preferred, but not required.
Must be able to move around the office up to 15% of the time to make copies, fax, file, etc. Remains stationary at least 85% of the time. This position operates computers and other office productivity machines (e.g., fax machine, copier, printer, etc.) on a regular basis. Occasionally required to move documents or files weighing up to 15 lbs. This position requires constant communication and exchange of information with the firm attorneys, clients and staff. This position must be able to inspect and observe information on a computer screen at least 80% of the time.
100% on site Office Environment. Overtime Required.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
To read our Candidate Privacy Information Statement, which explains how we will use your information, please navigate to https://www.specialcounsel.com/candidate-privacy
The Company will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records